Posted By Duncs ~ 31st March 2015
I recently decided to make the shift to go independent. I’m running it like an experiment…
I can make a living from offering test training.
Whilst I am growing the training business, I will be taking micro-contracts to bolster funds & keep my testing sharp.
Success looks like
- I am earning at least the same money as I am on now in 2 months
- I have delivered some training to a client
- I have learned some lessons in client negotiations
- I have learned some lessons in preparing & delivering training
- Pursue with more vigour the avenues that have been bringing in leads
- Pursue with more vigour the avenues that have been bringing in money
- Relax exploration of the avenues that haven’t brought in the leads / money
- Explore new potential avenues to generate leads / money
Failure looks like
I am not earning the same money as I am on now within 2 months (we wont be able to afford to carry on this experiment).
- Cast the offer of training to a wider audience
- Take a contract role, trying to weave the opportunity of training into that role
- Re-establish myself in the NW software development community
- Attend non-testing related geek nights
- Speak at non-testing related geek nights
- Attend & speak at local conferences
- Build a polished website for offering my training – Testagility!
Great news – I’ve managed to land a gig with a client helping them with a testing health check! This has come after only a month of business development.
This experiment, it seems so far, has been a success. Now to generate the next experiments…